dailydraught

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Not just Father

As I read the prophets, Lord, I feel uncomfortable with the picture of you there. I am tempted to say I need you as Father-God, but not as Judge-God. I think I'm drawn to your nurture, but repelled by your radical and seemingly harsh prophetic stance. And then a question enters my mind. Will I ever truly change without the Judge-God? Will my idolatry and the adultery of my soul ever cease if I think you are just the gentle Father? Perhaps it is just as loving for you to judge and remove impurities as it is for you to gently nurture growth. Deep comfort comes, not in choose one of your names to worship, but in learning the fullness of who you are in your infinite aspects. I need to trust that. Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ther is a place for these and other names.

8:42 PM  
Blogger soulster said...

One of the most amazing things in the Old Testament was that the people frequently named God. It might not be marvelous that God named the people, but the people naming God! Amazing. While the "I AM" will always be "LORD", there are so many other roles he is to us and so many other ways that we know him.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home