dailydraught

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Is There a Normal Way?

Father, you call us to discipleship in your Son, but what should that discipleship look like? I have this conviction that a follower must be radical -- always growing and pushing the limits. Isn't it more than being a learner? Isn't it more than an arrangement for salvation? Isn't it about radical obedience and world changing?

Are we all to be like Paul, militant and bold? Or should some of us live "peaceful and quiet lives" [1 Tim 2:2]? Is it ok if some of us think we are redeemed to be "normal" for Christ? It seems some of my friends and loved ones wish only to be farmers, plodding out their lives on the same patch of ground, depending on you for sun and rain, prosperity and good living. But I thought we were called to be warriors and wanderers, always straining for something over the horizon. Calling on you in desparate and dangerous moments to manifest the Kingdom in the darkness.

There are not many who are this kind of radical. Lord, is that because of gifting, or is there something wrong? Many revolutionaries are married to spouses who don't share their passion and drive. Is that ok? Should everyone be personally wrapped up in your mission, or is ok that some are more about a personal faith that brings help and comfort when its needed.

I worry that if there is such a thing as the normal road this all a game. Like Caedmon's Call says:

Maybe this is all just a game,
My friends and my families all play too
"Harnest the young and give some comfort to the old."


Father, I do not want to push my way on others, but I do not want to call people to another way but yours. Show me what following you looks like, and give me grace to teach others the path.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home